Giga seeks a Writing and Editorial Specialist to join one of the most innovative and impactful initiatives at the United Nations whose aim it is to connect every school in the world to the Internet and every young person to information, opportunity and choice. The Writing & Editorial Specialist will play a crucial role in shaping and refining Giga’s high-level communications, ensuring precision, coherence, and resonance in conveying organizational narratives and objectives to diverse stakeholders. This role specializes in high-end writing tasks including editorials, speech writing, external communications, partner writing, and preparing senior management for key speaking roles, maintaining superior standards of clarity and persuasiveness.
Your main responsibilities will be…
High-Level Writing & Editorial Support:
- Offer precise writing and editorial support for high-level communications encompassing speeches, external material, talking points, and partner communications.
- Craft and enhance superior content that mirrors and promotes Giga’s mission, vision, and strategic objectives.
Senior Management Preparation:
- Ready senior management for key speaking roles, ensuring clarity, coherence, and impact in verbal communications.
- Create succinct, compelling talking points and briefing notes to assist senior management in external engagements.
Strategic Communication Development:
- Partner with senior leaders to fashion strategic communication materials that resonate with high-level stakeholders, partners, and external audiences.
- Guide the ideation and realization of editorial content, ensuring alignment with Giga’s overarching narratives and objectives.
Monitoring & Refinement:
- Track pertinent trends and developments, providing insightful updates and briefings to augment organizational communications.
- Continually evaluate and refine communication materials based on feedback and evolving organizational needs and priorities.
Please access the full Term of Reference (ToRs) and read a more detailed description of the assignment in this file in order to prepare your financial proposal and know more about the role: Writing and Editorial Specialist TOR.pdf
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- An advanced degree, or equivalent in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, or a related field.
- *A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience in high-level writing and editorial roles, preferably within technology or science communications.
- Exemplary verbal, writing, and editing skills; capability to articulate complex concepts compellingly and coherently.
- Established experience in devising strategic communications for senior management in public or private sectors.
- Proficiency in developing speaking notes and advising senior management ahead of media interviews and speaking engagements.
- Prior experience in media relations, including addressing press enquiries and coordinating news conferences and technical briefings.
- Familiarity with managing multiple social media channels and a solid understanding of trends.
- Experience within the UN system, and comprehension of Member State-Secretariat relations is viewed favorably.
- Fluency in English; competence in French is an asset.
- Experience in regions where Giga is active (Sub-Saharan Africa, Central Asia, Latin America & Caribbean) is considered an asset.
Payment details and further considerations
- Payment of professional fees will be based on the submission of agreed deliverables. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold payment in case the deliverables submitted are not up to the required standard or in case of delays in submitting the deliverables on the part of the consultant.
- Consultant is responsible for his/her own health and travel insurance.
- Consultant is responsible to arrange his/her own travel, including visa.
How to apply
- Interest applicant is required to submit a financial proposal with all-inclusive fee.
- Financial proposal must include travel costs (economy class) and daily subsistence allowance, if travel is required as per TOR and any other estimated costs: visa, travel/health insurance.
Applications without a financial proposal will not be considered. Please find attached the financial proposal template.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF and ITU to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs), driving innovation in ICTs together with 193 Member States and a membership of over 900 companies, universities, and international and regional organizations.