Technical Expert - Co-creation of Sustainable Connectivity Operating Models for Schools in Kenya
Duration: 60 working days, end date 30 November 2022
Application Deadline: 18 August 2022, Midnight Geneva Time
We are seeking a short-term Technical Expert to support Giga for exploration of sustainable internet connectivity operating models for public primary schools in Kenya. The candidate should be based in Kenya or East Africa, with ability to travel to Kenyan schools, the communities in which they are located and engage with Kenyan stakeholders.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Conduct a detailed assessment of existing and new/innovative internet connectivity operating models in schools to determine their economic and financial viability, identify economic sustainability gaps and approaches that work, affordability and willingness to pay. For example, how are primary schools currently paying for internet subscriptions?
- Explore untapped opportunities for covering OPEX, such as, capitation grants and how they are used, and the possibility of staggering budgetary expenditure (including capitation grants) to cover connectivity, and who needs to be brought to the table for that conversation to happen.
- Interview and work with heads of schools, school boards, technicians, computer teachers, and other relevant strategic players that can speak to current and potential ways of financing connectivity and related ICT expenses.
- Explore the possibility of tying internet connectivity in the school to other uses. Including exploring and suggesting options for schools generating income from connectivity
- Develop a final summary report with the analysis and recommendations.
- Present the assessment findings and recommendations to Giga team and others for validation and inputs.
- Develop a detailed implementation plan along with high-level steps required to set up the models, recommended stakeholders to be engaged for the models to be sustainable. Presentation slides to support the work are also required.
- Participate, as necessary, in Giga meetings around the findings and their use.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- Education: Masters’ degree in Economics, Finance, Development Finance, Public Finance, Business Administration or other related areas.
- Experience: At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of the assignment, and/or private/commercial sector engagement, public sector engagement, financial analysis, development financing, or developing de-risking instruments.
- Languages: Fluency and excellent writing skills in English required.
Along with the application, the candidate shall prepare and submit the following documents together with the application:
- A technical proposal outlining how and when they intend to accomplish this task.
- A detailed financial proposal that should be inclusive of all that is required to deliver the assignment.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and ITU’s Telecommunications Development Bureau. It aims to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with 14 corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.