We are seeking a talented Senior UI Designer to join Giga. The UI designer will work within an interdisciplinary team to develop, prototype and advise on new products and solutions that will help us achieve the goal of connecting every school, and every community, to the Internet by 2030.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Own and lead the product UI lifecycle, from prototype, MVP launch and ongoing versioned iterations, working closely to UX Designer, Design Lead and external engineering teams.
- Work closely with the larger Giga Tech Team to continue a healthy evolution and the global scale of current and future Giga products such as GigaMaps, GigaCounts, and NFT and Blockchain products.
- Work and improve on Giga’s current UI design system.
- Implement UI-specific design processes to current team workflows.
- Validate wireframes and create high-fidelity mock-ups that support the technical development of websites, applications, software, and dashboards while ensuring that branding and technical guidelines are upheld across these platforms.
- Work as part of Giga’s Design Team in the development of visually impactful and innovative designs enhancing the current visual identity of Giga
- Maintenance of the Giga brand across multiple channels and the development of internal and external facing visual assets to support this, ranging from product design to the global giga.global website.
- Coordinate the work of vendors /external partners who will support or iterate on concepts already established by the Giga team, providing design leadership, guidance and ensuring quality of their work.
Please access the full Term of Reference (ToRs) and read a more detailed description of the assignment in this file in order to prepare your financial proposal and know more about the role: TOR Senior UI Designer.pdf
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Graphic Design, Web Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent practical experience. *A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in tech product design or UI.
- Experience working with technical/UX design teams to build user interfaces and interactive prototypes, across multiple platforms such as desktop and mobile (Android and IOS)
- Strong understanding of design systems and front-end architecture for products, websites, mobile applications, data visualization and content management systems.
- Strong use of best practices for responsive layouts.
- Expertise and in web design, best design practices of web layout, colour, composition graphics and imagery.
- A critical design taste and a high attention to detail.
- Expert level knowledge in design tools using tools; Figma, Sketch, Adobe CC, and Invision.
- Ability to lead and turn ideated products and wireframes into prototypes keeping in mind a user-centered approach.
- Skills in communicating and influencing product design strategy.
- Portfolio highlighting multiple projects and your direct contributions.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language.
Payment details and further considerations
- Payment of professional fees will be based on the submission of agreed deliverables. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold payment in case the deliverables submitted are not up to the required standard or in case of delays in submitting the deliverables on the part of the consultant.
- Consultant is responsible for his/her own health and travel insurance.
- Consultant is responsible to arrange his/her own travel, including visa.
How to apply
- Interest applicant is required to submit a financial proposal with all-inclusive fee.
- Financial proposal must include travel costs (economy class) and daily subsistence allowance, if travel is required as per TOR and any other estimated costs: visa, travel/health insurance.
Applications without a financial proposal will not be considered. Please find attached the financial proposal template.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF and ITU to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs), driving innovation in ICTs together with 193 Member States and a membership of over 900 companies, universities, and international and regional organizations.