Giga is seeking an experienced, creative, and passionate Senior Full Stack Software Engineer to join our team. Working closely with the Product Manager and the Mapping & Tech Lead, the consultant will lead the development of Project Connect, Daily Check App, and an open-source platform to map real-time school connectivity globally.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Work closely with the Product Manager and the Mapping & Tech Lead, to lead the development of the Project Connect, Daily Check App and an open-source platform to map real-time school connectivity globally.
- Coordinate the work of vendors and other software partners that are supporting us to build new products, API and distributed infrastructures worldwide.
- Build new prototypes and tools that support the current Giga project, as well as scale features in existing ones.
- Support and maintain, including documentation, software and products related to Giga
- Work closely with other parts of the team (like blockchain and data science team) to explore collaboration and integration.
- As a Senior technical member, you will contribute to product strategy and help develop the engineering team.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- Advance University degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in full-stack software development.
- Advance experience in building software prototypes and extensible API.
- Experience in collaborating with designers and building products with UI/UX mockups and design libraries like IBM carbon design system.
- Advance knowledge of NodeJS, Django frameworks for API Development.
- Advance experience in building scalable app backend preferably using python and Azure or open-source backend app services.
- Advanced knowledge of desktop application development technologies.
- Experience in development of Headless CMS.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL and NoSQL database systems, particularly Geospatial DBs, libraries and data structures.
- Experience with git, pull requests, and continuous integration and deployment through Azure DevOps and Github.
- Experience with Azure cloud services.
- Experience in scaling products and leverage right tech stack including but not limited to caching, optimizing search and resource distribution (Kubernetes).
- Active contribution to open-source tech community.
- Experience in ETL implementation for structured/unstructured data source.
- Experience in interacting with users and collecting user feedback on prototypes.
- Familiarity with Agile development environments and practices.
- Ability to learn other coding languages as needed.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency conditions is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
Payment details and further considerations
- Payment of professional fees will be based on the submission of agreed deliverables. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold payment in case the deliverables submitted are not up to the required standard or in case of delays in submitting the deliverables on the part of the consultant.
- Consultant is responsible for his/her own health and travel insurance.
- Consultant is responsible to arrange his/her own travel, including visa.
How to apply
- Interest applicant is required to submit a financial proposal with all-inclusive fee.
- Financial proposal must include travel costs (economy class) and daily subsistence allowance, if travel is required as per TOR and any other estimated costs: visa, travel/health insurance.
Applications without a financial proposal will not be considered. Please find attached the financial proposal template.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF and ITU to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs), driving innovation in ICTs together with 193 Member States and a membership of over 900 companies, universities, and international and regional organizations.