We seek a strong self-motivated Project Connect Product Lead who can maintain the quality of their work even under tight time constraints and who can work with a diverse interdisciplinary team of engineers, designers, data scientists and researchers to lead the development of quality products & tools for Project Connect, Giga’s open-source map of schools and their connectivity levels.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Work closely with the cross-functional Giga team and the Mapping and Tech Lead, drive product development and lead the prioritization and implementation of new features to existing products such as the Project Connect platform
- Coordinate the work of vendors and other tech partners that are helping us build different products
- Work with a team of engineers, designers, data scientists and researchers to define, design and build features
- Be responsible for the products’ planning, process, policies, initiatives and execution through the lifecycle of the product
- Manage Agile processes and sprint planning
- Conduct user/market research, obtain requirements from different stakeholders and users working with UX/UI designers to identify potential areas for growth for the product within its market
- Build prototypes to explore and secure a proof of concept for new technologies including automated service-level API or distributed cloud-based systems
- Define and launch MVP Business Intelligence service for cross-functional Giga team members
- Analyze the impact of these products and user adoption & satisfaction by defining and tracking key metrics
- Create relevant documents and communication materials and communicate quantifiable impact of the work to internal and external audiences
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in Computer Science, Engineering or similar, or equivalent work experience
*A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of eight years of relevant professional experience in building and shipping technical products
- Experience in creating product roadmaps and defining go-to-market strategies
- Experience working with a multidisciplinary team of designers, engineers, researchers
- Experience working in an agile software development environment
- Knowledge of project management tools like Jira, Asana, Trello
- Good verbal and communication skills
- Knowledge and experience with blockchain technology is a plus
- Work experience in developing countries and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and ITU’s Telecommunications Development Bureau. It aims to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with 14 corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
Payment details and further considerations
- Consultants are paid monthly
- Consultants are responsible for their own health and travel insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard budget allowances for all work-related travel