The Giga team is seeking a Partnerships Expert to join Giga, one of the most exciting and impactful projects in connecting schools so that children and young people have access to information, opportunities, and choices. This individual will manage a team that works to develop, prospect, and manage Giga’s portfolio of partners.
Your main responsibilities will be…
The consultant is to conceptualize, support and drive the coordination and management of partnerships for the Giga team. In collaboration with the Private Fundraising and Partnerships Division/UNICEF and, in some instances, in coordination with ITU, the consultant will:
- Lead strategy to develop and grow the partnership portfolio to enable Giga’s continued growth as an initiative for global connectivity.
- Oversee existing partnerships, including developing and owning relationships with counterparts within partner organizations
- Support the management team in developing novel partnership modalities leveraging the Giga Technology Centre to drive technology-based collaborations for open-source products, including the UN’s first connectivity-focused accelerator.
- Help define and execute Giga’s strategic engagements with Barcelona ecosystem, developing relationships with academic / research institutes, public sector, and start-up actors.
- Conceptualize and execute a strategy for future engagement with the technology sector, including the rollout of GigaISPs, a programme for incentivizing internet service providers to connect schools
- Working alongside Giga Co-leads and the functional workstream leads to understanding how the Partnerships Team can continuously improve to support shared goals.
- Lead on strategy and processes for engaging with key stakeholders, such as internal UNICEF teams, ITU, and National Committees.
Please access the full Term of Reference (ToRs) and read a more detailed description of the assignment in this file in order to prepare your financial proposal and know more about the role: Partnerships Expert.pdf.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in International Development, Public/Business Administration, International Relations, Social Sciences, or a related field or relevant work experience is required. *A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of 7 of relevant work experience in partnerships, project management, strategic planning, or management consulting.
- Relevant experience in the development of partnership pitches and proposals, negotiating partnership agreements, and managing and developing relationships with partner organizations
- A proven track record of managing teams and developing resources.
- The ability to prioritize and manage progress and deadlines across a diverse range of partners, projects, and activities.
- Very strong writing, editing, and content development skills, as well as demonstrated strength in communication.
- Experience working with (or ability to quickly learn about and speak to) technology, data, telecommunications, and innovative solutions.
- Ability to manage multiple perspectives and sets of priorities, driving toward consensus across several stakeholders.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
- The consultant is expected to travel to Giga’s Technology Center in Barcelona three times. The Barcelona trips will require a stay of 1 week (5 days) each.
- The consultant is responsible for arranging his/her own travel, including visa and travel insurance.
Payment details and further considerations
- Payment of professional fees will be based on the submission of agreed deliverables. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold payment in case the deliverables submitted are not up to the required standard or in case of delays in submitting the deliverables on the part of the consultant.
- Consultant is responsible for his/her own health and travel insurance.
- Consultant is responsible to arrange his/her own travel, including visa.
How to apply
- Interest applicant is required to submit a financial proposal with all-inclusive fee.
- Financial proposal must include travel costs (economy class) and daily subsistence allowance, if travel is required as per TOR and any other estimated costs: visa, travel/health insurance.
Applications without a financial proposal will not be considered. Please find attached the financial proposal template.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF and ITU to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs), driving innovation in ICTs together with 193 Member States and a membership of over 900 companies, universities, and international and regional organizations.