The Giga team is looking for an experienced Operations Specialist, to join on a Temporary Assignment for one year, in Geneva, Switzerland. The purpose of the assignment is to manage operational business procedures for Giga. The candidate will be accountable for operations functions, facilitate change, provide risk informed, solution-focused analysis, advice and services and contribute to programme and management decisions.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Facilitating services in the functional areas of operations support: budget, financial management and reporting, facilities management, administration, supply and logistics management, information and communications technology, human resources, and safety and security;
- Supporting the line manager to implement career development, opportunities for staff;
- Acting as a member of the Management Teams, representing the organizational risks, governance systems and policies, and promoting results based management.
- Understanding business needs for the office, to anticipate challenges, propose viable/creative solutions aimed at value for money.
- Providing key contribution to AMP and support to Results Based Management and implementation using Value for Money criteria.
- Promoting the fundamentals of ICT management, information security and controls;
- Supporting supply and logistics strategies and interventions to meet programmatic needs while ensuring Value for Money (VfM), including procurement of fit for purpose products and services, and providing advisory support to governments, national systems and partners on supply chain management;
- Supporting the team during external and internal audit reviews and responding to audit observations and monitoring implementation of recommendations;
- Providing regular feedback on risks and achievements of operations functions in the office;
- Leading on facility management with a specific focus on inclusive accessibility, eco sustainability and common premises;
- Monitoring business transactions processed by GSSC from a perspective of Efficiency, Performance, Risk Management and Fraud prevention.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- An Advanced University Degree (Master’s and above) in one of the following areas is required: Business management; Financial management; Accounting; Public Finance; and related operations function (Supply Chain, Human Resources, Information Technology, International Business, Project management, etc.) is required or a full professional accounting designation (CA, ACA, ACCA, CPA, CIMA, CPFA, Expert Compatible) from an internationally recognized institute/body of accountancy with valid membership in good standing is required.”
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience, at the national and/or international level, is required, specifically in implementing organizational initiatives in one or more operations management area including budget; financial management and reporting; facilities management; administration; supply and logistics management; information and communication technology; human resources.
- Prior experience in the development sector or UN system/ international NGOs would be an asset.
- Additional experience in one or more of the following areas, would be desired: Audit and investigations, safety and security, grant management, enterprise risk management.
- Experience in a UN system agency, large private or public company, or experience working in a developing country and/or humanitarian/ emergency context is an asset.
- For country offices with a significant private sector fundraising operation, prior experience working with or in the private sector, and supporting private sector fundraising, is desirable.
- Experience in working with corporate ERPs (Enterprise Resource Planning) and IPSAS (International Public Sector Accounting Standards) is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of Results Based Management is a requirement.
- Experience in supporting successful client-oriented work units is an asset.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications is required.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and ITU’s Telecommunications Development Bureau. It aims to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with 14 corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
Payment details and further considerations
- Consultants are paid monthly
- Consultants are responsible for their own health and travel insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard budget allowances for all work-related travel