Giga is seeking an Operations Manager to join our team. Reporting directly to the Senior Innovation Advisor (Giga co-lead) while also having a matrix reporting relationship with the Chief of Operations at the Office of Innovation, the Operations Manager is entrusted with a multifaceted portfolio that encompasses Operational Oversight, Procurement, Asset Management, and Risk Management assuring the best use of UNICEF assets in alignment with sound management practices, office priorities and goals to deliver results for children.
Your main responsibilities will be…
Policy, Procedures, and Strategies:
- As the technical manager, the Operations Manager is accountable for the correct and consistent application of policies and procedures in the management of Giga’s operational functions, providing technical leadership, guidance, and support. Advise on the appropriate application and interpretation of operational rules, regulations, policies, and procedures, ensuring all operations are in compliance with UNICEF and ITU operational procedures and the effective operation of internal controls across all Giga implementation
- Contribute strategic planning on operational matters, providing technical input and ensuring alignment with Giga’s mission and objectives.
- Identify, design, develop and implement business intelligence to capture, consolidate, organize, analyze and report financial and non-financial information for Giga.
- Review key Operations processes for Giga and in coordination with the OOI Chief of Operations, to minimize cost, simplify and reduce duplication of work and maximize efficiencies while creating an environment of smarter controls to enhance agility and resilience.
- Provide innovative and comprehensive tools, data, and analysis to internal and external stakeholders to make strategic decisions and maximize funds utilization for Giga, e.g. data science approach to process optimization, use of technology for team efficiency, technology enabled strategies for managing globally distributed teams, technology tools for onboarding/managing vendors, etc.
- Play an advisory role, in coordination with OOI Chief of Operations, on effective risk analysis and mitigation for new approaches, solutions and initiatives to implement Giga’s objectives, including appropriate, risk-informed due diligence
- Provide key contribution in reviewing operational and organizational structures for Giga in collaboration with OOI Chief of Operations.
Budget Preparation and Implementation:
- Manage the budget to ensure that objectives are realized for the smooth operations of Giga in line with the Office of Innovation/UNICEF guidelines.
- Recommend and prepare estimates for operational needs, ensuring cost-effectiveness and alignment with Giga’s goals. Monitor and control the operational budget, ensuring transparency and accountability.
- Support Giga budget process, including planning, preparation, implementation, monitoring and reporting (Giga work plan, strategic plan development). This also includes to:
- Ensure coordinated preparation and consolidation process for the section’s budgets.
- Ensure timely issuance of budget allotments.
- Ensure budget control and budget implementation reporting are effective for the Giga initiative.
Administrative Support and Services:
- Oversee administrative support and services to Giga Geneva office and Giga Barcelona Technology Centre, including preparation and funding of service contracts, and guidance on administrative procedures.
- Ensure timely and effective delivery of administrative support and services for Geneva and Barcelona Offices, including space management, transport services, ICT and other equipment use and maintenance, conference and travel arrangements, document reproduction, communications, mail and delivery services, local procurement and bill payments of utilities.
- Support initiatives for enhancing operational efficiency and cost-effectiveness, including coordination with other agencies and partners or the use of technology for process improvement.
- Acts as Security and business continuity focal point for OOI offices in Geneva and Barcelona
- Manage properties, updating inventory, and ensuring proper maintenance and utilization of assets.
- In partnership with ITU for the Geneva centre, oversee the maintenance of premises in Geneva and Barcelona in accordance with organizational standards for accessibility and environmental sustainability
Contract Arrangement and Control:
- In coordination with OOI Operations, act as the Giga focal point with Supply Division for institutional contracting and procurement
- Annual planning
- PCM dashboard oversight
- Low value PO creation & LTA support
- Ensure all contractual arrangements are in compliance with applicable policies and procedures.
- Review and monitor contracts and advise on effective contract management.
Geneva/Barcelona Office and Coordination:
- Coordinate between Geneva and Barcelona’s operational functions, ensuring seamless integration and alignment with Giga’s objectives.
- Provide support for administrative management, ensuring consistency and compliance across all locations.
- Act as key focal point for administrative support from UNICEF Geneva offices
- Guide on protocol issues for Barcelona, in liaison with OOI Chief of Operations and the ICTD office in Valencia
Please click here to access the full TOR and related information.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- An Advanced University Degree (Master’s and above) in one of the following areas is required: Business management; Financial management; Accounting; Public Finance; and related operations function (Supply Chain, Human Resources, Information Technology, International Business, etc.) or a full professional accounting designation (CA, ACA, ACCA, CPA, CIMA, CPFA, Expert Comptable) from an internationally recognized institute/body of accountancy with valid membership in good standing is required.
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience, at the national and international level, is required, specifically in implementing strategic organizational initiatives in one or more operations management area including budget; financial management and reporting; facilities management; administration; supply and logistics management; information and communication technology; human resources.
- Prior experience in the development sector or UN system/ international NGOs would be an asset.
- Additional experience in one or more of the following areas, would be desired:
- Audit and investigations
- Safety and security
- Grant Management
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Experience with open-source tech communities or previous exposure to such work is an asset.
- Experience with working in or managing distributed teams is an asset.
- Experience in a UN system agency, large private or public company, or experience working in a developing country and/or humanitarian/ emergency context is an asset.
- Experience in working with corporate ERPs (Enterprise Resource Planning) and IPSAS (International Public Sector Accounting Standards) is highly desirable.
- Experience in Results Based Management is a requirement.
- Experience in supporting successful client-oriented work units is an asset.
- Previous hands-on experience in strategic operations is a strong asset,
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications is required.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
Payment details and further considerations
- Payment of professional fees will be based on the submission of agreed deliverables. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold payment in case the deliverables submitted are not up to the required standard or in case of delays in submitting the deliverables on the part of the consultant.
- Consultant is responsible for his/her own health and travel insurance.
- Consultant is responsible to arrange his/her own travel, including visa.
How to apply
- Interest applicant is required to submit a financial proposal with all-inclusive fee.
- Financial proposal must include travel costs (economy class) and daily subsistence allowance, if travel is required as per TOR and any other estimated costs: visa, travel/health insurance.
Applications without a financial proposal will not be considered. Please find attached the financial proposal template.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF and ITU to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs), driving innovation in ICTs together with 193 Member States and a membership of over 900 companies, universities, and international and regional organizations.