We are seeking a Mapping and Tech Officer to join Giga, an initiative to connect every school in the world to the Internet and every young person to information, opportunity, and choice. This candidate will collaborate with an interdisciplinary team to support the planning, implementation, and monitoring of different activities and tools for Giga.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Support the Mapping and Tech Lead in day-to-day operations and strategic planning.
- Conduct data analysis and progress reporting, in support of goals and key objectives.
- Support the coordination of the work of vendors and other tech partners that are supporting us build different products.
- Create tools and processes to enable seamless scale of the work and in country deployment of products.
- Ensure adoption of best practices and guidelines, including open-source guidelines across tech stack.
- Support product leads in analyzing the impact of different products and user adoption & satisfaction by defining and tracking key metrics.
- Create relevant documents and communication materials and communicate quantifiable impact of the work to internal and external audiences.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in in Engineering, Business Development, Public Administration or similar, or equivalent work experience. *A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of five years of relevant professional experience in strategic operations or technical program management
- Experience working with technology products and tech private sector companies is a must have.
- Strong analytical skill is required.
- Experience working in innovation projects is an asset
- Good verbal and writing communication skills is required.
- Experience working with a multidisciplinary team is a must have.
- Knowledge of project management tools like Jira, Asana, Trello is an asset
- Work experience in developing countries and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF and ITU to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs), driving innovation in ICTs together with 193 Member States and a membership of over 900 companies, universities, and international and regional organizations.
Payment details and further considerations
- Consultants are paid monthly
- Consultants are responsible for their own health and travel insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard budget allowances for all work-related travel