We are seeking a social media and website manager to tell the story of Giga’s work to connect schools around the world. The successful candidate will manage our social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram) and our website. They will also help manage the community of owners of Giga’s non-fungible token (NFT) artworks via our Discord channel.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Create social media copy and assets, including videos focusing on stories about connectivity in schools around the world.
- Stay on top of news, platforms and language relating to connectivity, tech and education, seizing opportunities to partner with others.
- Collaborate with other social media teams across UNICEF and ITU, including offices around the world, to develop and deliver new content.
- Escalate any issues on Giga’s accounts as you see them and refer them to relevant parts of the Giga team – urgent customer questions, potential news stories, etc.
- Monitor relevant social media messages and respond throughout the day.
- Manage social content calendar and liaise with partners on joint content and cross-promotion
- Moderate the Discord NFT channel, as well as Twitter Spaces audio panels and events.
- Keep the Giga website (WordPress-based) up to date and add new material (e.g. stories, case studies, press) as it is produced by the team.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- A university degree in a relevant field (Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or related areas)
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in social media community management, having run social presences for a brand or major organization.
- Proven writing and editing skills: honing Giga’s social media voice and applying it to all content
- Graphic design and video editing skills are required
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment; proven track record working across a cross-functional team
- Proficiency crafting creative, inspiring, stories that communicate complex concepts simply
- Outstanding communication, teamwork, and interpersonal skills; team-first mentality
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience working with technology, NFTs, data, telecommunications, and innovative solutions is an asset.
- Fluency in English. Competence in another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) is an asset.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and ITU’s Telecommunications Development Bureau. It aims to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with 14 corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
Payment details and further considerations
- Consultants are paid monthly
- Consultants are responsible for their own health and travel insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard budget allowances for all work-related travel