We are seeking a Programme Officer to support us for the implementation of Giga in Botswana. The individual is responsible for coordinating and facilitating the effort for Giga scale-up and roll-out. This position will be based in UNICEF Botswana, and opened for Batswana only.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Act as primary focal point for coordination among relevant stakeholders in Botswana.
- Lead and provide critical input in the design for major Giga Botswana events in 2022/2023.
- Develop relationships with counterparts in relevant institutions and the private sector in Botswana.
- Execute and manage all Giga activities in Botswana.
- Support Knowledge Management activities including progress reporting, project communications, risk management and lessons learned.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- A university degree in information technology management, business administration, international relations, community development or other related social science fields.
- A minimum of two (2) years of professional experience in ICT technologies;
- Experience with ICT hardware or software tools, mobile phones and web-based technologies, particularly designing or deploying tools appropriate to low-bandwidth environments, or in the phases of adoption and user requirements (user testing, user interaction, etc.)
- Familiarity working with quantitative and qualitative statistics and government data is desired: census, EMIS, location data, etc.
- Familiarity working with big data is desired: telcos, Twitter, satellite imagery.
- Experience working with or managing relationships with MNOs and ISPs
- Experience in supporting and coordinating social development analysis and programming activities across organizations and with other international partner organizations.
- Experience with developing budgets, contracts and procurement, etc.
- Ability to communicate data insights and to translate into programmatic impact.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people of various professional, academic and cultural backgrounds.
- Desired experience with early-stage technical products.
- Development or government experience; familiarity with the UN system and UNICEF
- Prior knowledge or experience interacting with the education space on ICT hardware and software tools will be an added advantage.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF and ITU to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs), driving innovation in ICTs together with 193 Member States and a membership of over 900 companies, universities, and international and regional organizations.