Giga Product and Data Analyst
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Duration: 12 months
Application Deadline: 19 April 2023, Central European Time
We are seeking a Giga Product and Data Analyst to join Giga, an initiative to connect every school in the world to the Internet and every young person to information, opportunity, and choice. The candidate will work with a diverse, global and interdisciplinary team to help us improve and scale our products and processes through their critical data analysis. You´d be the caretaker of Giga´s main datasets, the one taking care of their quality and integrity.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Create automated reports to track and analyze Giga’s progress in mapping schools, their connectivity and the infrastructure available to them.
- Analyze real-time school internet Quality of Service (QoS) data from different sources, including Internet Service Provider (ISP) data through APIs as well as data obtained directly from schools through Giga’s desktop application and browser extension (www.projectconnect.world).
- Setup product and user analytics and suggest product and process improvements and contribute directly to the efforts in mapping schools and their connectivity across the globe.
- Be the data quality expert within the team and support data engineers to write robust data quality checks across data pipelines and workflows.
- Lead the process of data documentation and metadata management within the data and tech team.
- Contribute to building data-driven culture across the team by supporting them with efforts like defining and tracking KPIs, funneling analysis of their processes and templatizing data queries.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- An academic degree in Statistics, Data Analytics, Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in data and products analytics.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in open-source analytical stack Superset, Metabase, PostgreSQL DB, Apache Airflow.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience with SQL and python or R.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in data governance best practices and toolkit like Datahub, Deltalake, Great expectations.
- Knowledge of computer networks and understanding how ISP (Internet Service Providers) work is an asset.
- Experienced and comfortable with remote team dynamics, process, and tools (Slack, Zoom, etc.).
- Near obsession with quality, accuracy and actionable data insights for product and process improvements.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF and ITU to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
Follow Giga on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs), driving innovation in ICTs together with 193 Member States and a membership of over 900 companies, universities, and international and regional organizations.
Payment details and further considerations
- Consultants are paid monthly
- Consultants are responsible for their own health and travel insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard budget allowances for all work-related travel