We are seeking an associate to join a small group of finance specialists to support key workstreams, including capital formation, country engagement and project-level financing.
Your main responsibilities will be…
Giga seeks to mobilize $5 billion in catalytic capital to jumpstart critical connectivity investments, including donor pledges, development loans, private capital, and other sources of project funding.
Support outreach to existing and prospective financial partners:
- develop fundraising materials for public and private sector donors;
- support related diligence processes, including the construction of data rooms;
- build financial models for development.
Giga is currently engaged with 19 countries to provide school connectivity and is actively cultivating relationships with new countries. Giga has mapped over 1 million schools in the world, across 42 countries.
Support engagement efforts with local and regional governments:
- identify project opportunities in developing and middle income countries;
- draft TORs for feasibility studies;
- support country offices in securing developing loans and other funding sources;
- assist UNICEF Country Offices in the procurement, selection and technical evaluation of the potential bidders for delivering of projects;
- review of the deliverables and develop final project documentation.
- Build a detailed, actionable pipeline of connectivity projects at multi-national, national and regional levels;
- Maintain Giga’s connectivity project cost model, ensuring Giga is able to quickly and accurately determine the cost of delivering projects in focus countries
- Produce impact analyses for key financial stakeholders
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in Business Administration, Economics, Finance or related field
*A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in financial analysis and financial modelling
- Hands on experience in macroeconomic analysis and modelling
- Demonstrated strong skills in Power Point and Excel
- Demonstrated strong writing and presentation skills in English
- Ability to effectively work and coordinate in a multiple stakeholder environment
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a rapidly-changing work environment and adapt to unforeseen changes
- Experience working in the intersection of development/donor organizations, public finance, and commercial sector is an asset
- Experience in designing and developing business cases, business plans and financial plans is an asset
- Experience in telecommunication infrastructure sector is an asset
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
- Knowledge of the UN system is an advantage
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future.
We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission. To date, Giga has brought on more than a dozen partners and raised over $27 million in funding.
Global school connectivity requires meaningful capital investment, and Giga is poised to act as both a financial catalyst and convener to achieve the goal of connecting every school to the internet. Giga works directly with governments to build affordable and financially sustainable models for connectivity. Giga prioritizes the long-term commercial viability of projects to attract a broad set of capital partners and enable innovative, blended financing solutions. From initial project planning to monitoring of service quality, Giga supports governments throughout the lifecycle of connectivity projects, ensuring that the desired social and financial outcomes are achieved.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and ITU’s Telecommunications Development Bureau. It aims to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with 14 corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
Payment details and further considerations
- Consultants are paid monthly
- Consultants are responsible for their own health and travel insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard budget allowances for all work-related travel