Giga Data Scientists
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Duration: 12 months
Application Deadline: 19 April 2023, Central European Time
We are seeking two Data Scientists to join Giga, an initiative to connect every school in the world to the Internet and every young person to information, opportunity, and choice. The candidates will work with a diverse, global and interdisciplinary team to help us build and scale tools and products that support the successful, on-the-ground implementation of the Giga project.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Process satellite imagery as well as other critical datasets.
- Assess and identify new sources of data for Giga.
- Curate training samples for ML model development.
- Develop, evaluate, run, and improve AI/ML models.
- Analyze different datasets to generate new insights for Giga and its countries.
- Capture findings in appealing stories and documentation.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- Advanced degree in data science, computer science, or a related field
- At least five years of experience in data science, machine learning related fields
- Strong experience with machine learning and data analysis using Python or R
- Strong experience with computer vision algorithm development
- Experience with satellite imagery analysis and geospatial data is desirable
- Excellent communication skills and ability to present complex technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Experience with relational databases is an asset
- Experience with cloud services, like AWS, Azure
- Experienced and comfortable with remote team dynamics, process, and tools (Slack, Zoom, etc.)
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF and ITU to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
Follow Giga on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs), driving innovation in ICTs together with 193 Member States and a membership of over 900 companies, universities, and international and regional organizations.
Payment details and further considerations
- Consultants are paid monthly
- Consultants are responsible for their own health and travel insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard budget allowances for all work-related travel