We are seeking a Blockchain Developer to join Giga, an initiative to connect every school in the world to the Internet and every young person to information, opportunity, and choice. This individual will collaborate with an interdisciplinary team to help us build and scale blockchain tools and products that support the successful, on-the-ground implementation of the Giga project.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Work closely with the Product Manager and the Mapping & Tech Lead, to work on the development of Giga blockchain products (Connectivity credits platform, contract management platform, NFT collections).
- Engage with vendors and other software partners that are supporting us to build new products, API’s and distributed infrastructures worldwide.
- Build new prototypes and tools that support the current Giga project, as well as scale features in existing ones.
- Support and maintain, including documentation, software and products related to Giga.
- Work closely with other parts of the team to explore collaboration and integration.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- University degree in Computer Science or related field.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in software development, with at least two (2) years of experience in blockchain development.
- Experience working as part of a fully staffed scrum team.
- Experience in building software prototypes and extensible APIs.
- Strong knowledge of ethereum-like blockchains and ability to design and implement smart contracts.
- Understanding of both fungible and non-fungible tokens.
- Having built public smart contracts or web3 apps is a great advantage.
- Experience with one or more language for backend development.
- Experience with relational databases.
- Experience with cloud services, like AWS, Azure.
- Knowledge of computer networks and understanding how ISP (Internet Service Providers) work is an asset.
- Experienced and comfortable with remote team dynamics, process, and tools (Slack, Zoom, etc.).
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency conditions is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF and ITU to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs), driving innovation in ICTs together with 193 Member States and a membership of over 900 companies, universities, and international and regional organizations.
Payment details and further considerations
- Consultants are paid monthly
- Consultants are responsible for their own health and travel insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard budget allowances for all work-related travel