We are seeking two Data Science Interns to join Giga, an initiative to connect every school in the world to the Internet and every young person to information, opportunity, and choice. You will work with a diverse interdisciplinary team to help us scale our data processing pipelines, perform critical analysis and visualization, and build statistical and machine learning models to generate insights for the Giga project.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Collaborating with the Giga data science team and scientists at the Φ-lab, located in Frascati (IT), ESA’s Centre for Earth Observation to develop Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) algorithms to their current joint activities.
- Conducting exploratory data analysis on various data types and sources.
- Supporting the processing of datasets, particularly geospatial and Earth Observation derived data on topics such as education, socio-economic conditions, population estimates, and infrastructure, as input for algorithm development.
- Assisting in the creation of articles and scientific AI research manuscripts for publication.
- Developing data visualizations and stories for analysis and communication purposes.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- Completed graduation within last 2 years or are currently enrolled in Computer Science, Machine learning, Data Science, Geospatial Sciences, or other relevant graduation programs (PhD degree is preferred but not required).
- Published or open-sourced relevant data science projects or papers.
- Knowledge of data quality and processing pipelines.
- Deep interest and understanding of AI and Machine learning.
- Experience with dealing with geospatial data (vector or raster).
- Experience with Earth Observation data (preferred).
- Technical experience in: Python (required), Data visualization libraries, Cloud services (Azure, AWS, etc), Geospatial DBs, libraries and data structures, SQL and NoSQL database systems, Experience with git.
- Be proficient in at least one of UNICEF’s working languages: English, French or Spanish.
- Fluency in the working language of the office you are applying to is required. Giga and ESA Φ-lab’s working language is English.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- Have excellent academic performance as demonstrated by recent university or institution records.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF and ITU to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs), driving innovation in ICTs together with 193 Member States and a membership of over 900 companies, universities, and international and regional organizations.
Payment details and further considerations
- Consultants are paid monthly
- Consultants are responsible for their own health and travel insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard budget allowances for all work-related travel