We are seeking a Communications Lead to tell the story of Giga’s work to connect schools on a range of digital platforms (principally Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and the website), through the media and at international events. The successful candidate will play a central role in attracting new partners and staff to Giga, in persuading governments to prioritize school connectivity, and in raising the financing needed to connect every school.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Working with UNICEF Country Offices, ITU Regional Offices and other partners to identify and seize opportunities to tell stories about the importance of connectivity for children, teachers and communities, and Giga’s work to deliver it.
- Ensuring Giga’s core narrative and products (summary documents, slide decks, website, key data and messages) are regularly updated and available to the Giga team and wider UNICEF and ITU staff.
- Supervising the social media manager, helping to deliver content (especially videos) which speak about Giga’s work in programme countries, high engagement and follower growth on all of Giga’s digital channels.
- Identifying opportunities to promote Giga and influence audiences at public events, providing briefing material for senior representatives and amplifying content.
- Working with the Mapping and Tech teams, help to manage the community of Giga’s Patchwork Kingdom NFT owners and generate media interest around future NFT projects which grow the community of supporters who believe in the transformative power of technology and connectivity.
- Working with UNICEF, specifically Office of Innovation and ITU’s Telecommunication Development Bureau to ensure coherence of communications strategies, channels and messaging about Giga
- Aligning external communications content across UNICEF and ITU about Giga, securing press releases, media pitches and posts on high-profile social media channels in a manner which ensures synergies and maximizes both UNICEF and ITU involvement in Giga.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or related areas
*A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in communications, journalism public relations or related fields.
- A strong track record of crafting clear, inspiring, and persuasive stories about complex concepts.
- Experience in crafting and/or implementing communications strategies in either public or private sector.
- Significant experience working with international print and broadcast media, preferably with a tech/innovation perspective.
- Excellent verbal communication, writing and editing skills are required.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. Proven track record working across a cross-functional team.
- Outstanding communication, teamwork, and interpersonal skills; team-first mentality.
- Experience of working with Private Sector PR and communications teams and driving communications activity that delivers business benefit is an asset.
- Graphic design and video editing skills are an asset.
- Experience working with technology, NFTs, data, telecommunications, and innovative solutions is an asset.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of an additional UN Language (French, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish) is considered an asset.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and ITU’s Telecommunications Development Bureau. It aims to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with 14 corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
Payment details and further considerations
- Consultants are paid monthly
- Consultants are responsible for their own health and travel insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard budget allowances for all work-related travel