Software Developer (Front End)
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Contract Type: Consultancy
Duration: 12 months
Application Deadline: 13 February 2024, 11.55 PM Europe Standard Time
UNICEF/Giga seeks an experienced, creative, and passionate Front End Software Developer to join Giga. Giga is a joint initiative between UNICEF and ITU, with a specific goal to connect every school to internet, and every young person to information, opportunity and choice. To achieve this goal, we have been mapping schools’ geolocations and their real-time internet quality, demographics and potential internet infrastructure around them across the globe. We have been doing this through products like Project Connect, Daily Check app, Machine learning for school detection and multiple data collaborations. The Software Developer will work with a multidisciplinary team to lead the development of these diverse range of products that will help us achieve the ambitious goal of connecting every school, and every community to the Internet.
Your main responsibilities will be…
- Work closely with the Blockchain Product Manager and the UI/UX team, to create intuitive and responsive user interfaces for Giga’s blockchain products, including NFT2, and GigaCounts, an open-source platform to manage school connectivity contracts globally.
- Coordinate the work of vendors and other software partners that are supporting us to build new products.
- Build new prototypes and tools that support the current Giga project, as well as scale features in existing ones.
- Ensure visual consistency of products by using design systems like IBM carbon design system.
- Collaborate with backend and blockchain engineers to ensure seamless integration and high performance of the applications.
- Create and maintain frontend documentation for the developed products.
- Contribute to product strategy from a frontend perspective and help in mentoring junior frontend developers.
- Work closely with other parts of the team (like the mapping and data science team) to explore collaboration and integration.
Please access the full Term of Reference (ToRs) and read a more detailed description of the assignment in this file in order to prepare your financial proposal and know more about the role: Software Developer (Front end).pdf.
To qualify for this position, you will have…
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Web Development or a related technical field. *A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in frontend software development
- Experience with CSS preprocessors like SASS or LESS and frontend build tools like Webpack
- Experience collaborating with designers and implementing UI/UX mockups and design libraries like IBM carbon design system.
- Experience in creating responsive designs for multiple devices and screen sizes.
- Familiarity with Headless CMS
- Experience with git, pull requests, and continuous integration through tools like Azure DevOps and Github
- Active contribution to the open-source tech community
- Experience in interacting with users and collecting user feedback on prototypes
- Familiarity with Agile development environments and practices.
- Ability to learn other coding languages as needed.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency conditions is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
Payment details and further considerations
- Payment of professional fees will be based on the submission of agreed deliverables. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold payment in case the deliverables submitted are not up to the required standard or in case of delays in submitting the deliverables on the part of the consultant.
- Consultant is responsible for his/her own health and travel insurance.
- Consultant is responsible to arrange his/her own travel, including visa.
How to apply
- Interest applicant is required to submit a financial proposal with all-inclusive fee.
- Financial proposal must include travel costs (economy class) and daily subsistence allowance, if travel is required as per TOR and any other estimated costs: visa, travel/health insurance.
Applications without a financial proposal will not be considered. Please find attached the financial proposal template.
About Our Team
We are a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, finance specialists, data scientists, policy experts, and much more. Our team is a distributed workforce and plans to remain distributed into the foreseeable future. We are growing fast. Our team has grown by over 400% in the last 6 months as we rapidly scale to meet our stated mission.
Giga is a joint initiative of UNICEF and ITU to connect every school in the world to the Internet by 2030. Working with corporate and non-profit partners, Giga maps schools’ Internet access in real time, creates models for innovative financing, and supports governments contracting for connectivity. It is part of ITU’s Partner2 Connect Coalition, UNICEF’s Reimagine Education initiative, and the UN Secretary General’s Common Agenda and Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs), driving innovation in ICTs together with 193 Member States and a membership of over 900 companies, universities, and international and regional organizations.